Not all carbs are created equal, but that doesn't mean they're good or bad.
So here's a winning strategy. Replace refined carbohydrates with whole, unprocessed carbs, and you'll boost your heart health and lower your risk of diabetes. And because
good carbs are typically rich in feel-full fiber, they can help you lose weight. A
2018 JAMA study shows that eating unrefined, high-quality foods, including good
carbohydrates, counts more toward weight loss than counting calories.
Here are 6 non-processed carbohydrates for good health.
1. Quinoa -contains 2 grams of fiber and 4 grams of protein for longer satiety.
2. Black Rice- contains vitamin E and antioxidants and is an “ancient grain”. It is higher in fiber and lower in calories.
3. Pearl Barley - In a Japanese study, eating barley helped people reduce their cholesterol, shrink their waistlines and loose dangerous visceral fat.
4. Oatmeal - Eating oatmeal regularly not only lowers your risk of high blood pressure, heart disease and colon cancer, but its high fiber also helps keep you feeling full and satisfied. And oats are kind to your waistline: research shows they can help reduce belly fat and overall body fat.
5. Popcorn - you can get one of those daily servings of fibrous grains-and kill a snack attack-with 3 cups of popcorn (what you get by popping 1 heaping tablespoon of kernels).
6. Farro - known for its nutty flavor and chewy texture, this ancient wheat grain is packed with protein, and has more fiber than many other whole grains. Farro is most often available semi-pearled, with part of the bran removed. Whole farro has more nutrients, but you'll need to soak it overnight and cook it longer.
Ready to find out more?
As a Diabetes Educator and Nutritionist I help my patients cope with managing their diabetes - whether it's diet, nutrition, supplements, blood sugar, or pump therapy.
Please reach out and contact me if you need support, I truly understand. I live it every day.
You might be interested in...