Beef & Barley Soup
ACTIVE: 15 min. TOTAL: 1 hr 30 min.
TO MAKE AHEAD: Refrigerate for up to 3 days. Reheat over low heat, adding water if necessary.
This beef soup couldn't be easier - you just need to toss all of the ingredients into a pot and wait!
- 6 cups water
- 1 1/2 lbs. boneless beef chuck roast, trimmed and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 1/4 cups sliced button mushrooms
- 2 cups sliced celery
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/2 tsp. ground pepper
- 4 cups chopped kale
- 1 cup quick-cooking barley
- 1 6-oz. can tomato paste
- Combine water, beef, mushrooms, celery, carrots, onion, garlic, salt, rosemary, and pepper in a large pot. Bring to a boil over high heat; reduce heat to maintain a simmer, cover, and cook, stirring occasionally and skimming off fat as needed, until the beef is tender (1 to 1 1/4 hours).
- Stir in kale, barley, and tomato paste. Return to a boil over high heat; reduce heat to maintain a simmer, cover, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the barley is tender (about 10 minutes).
SERVES 8: 1 1/3 cups each
CAL 214, CARB 24g (5g fiber, 5g sugars), FAT 4g (1g sat fat), PRO 21g, CHOL 49mg, SODIUM 427mg, POTASSIUM 640mg.
SOURCE: Diabetes Living, Fall 2020
You might be interested in...